If you have visited Thailand you will know that it’s an amazing travel destination; with stunning scenery, out of this world cuisine and rich with culture (if you haven't visited Thailand it should definitely be on your list of places to see!). We love these 11 lesser-known facts about Thailand...
- Thailand is home to a species of fish that is capable of walking on land and climbing trees. It’s called a Mudskipper.
- The world’s hairiest child lives in Thailand, her name is Supatra “Nat” Sasuphan.
- Thailand is 543 years ahead of the rest of the world! The year in Thailand is 2556 as they follow the Buddhist calendar.
- Elephant polo is a popular activity and is one of the key events in the sport’s calendar.
- You can be arrested for leaving the house without any underwear on - it’s illegal.
- Bangkok is the cities short name, its real name is the longest city name in the world; Krung Thep Mahanakhon Amon Rattanakosin Mahintharayutthaya Mahadilok Phop Noppharat Ratchathani Burirom Udomratchaniwet Mahasathan Amon Phiman Awatan Sathit Sakkathattiya Witsanukam Prasit.
- Thailand is home to the world’s biggest fish. It’s the 12 meter long whale shark.
- One-tenth of all animal species on Earth live in Thailand.
- Bangkok is the world’s most visited city and it will have had 16 million international arrivals this year.
- Thailand is the 13th friendliest country in the world. Iceland is the first.
- You can get free international roaming in Thailand with your WorldSIM travel SIM card
Do you know what else is interesting? Our products – check them out now!