How to Stay Safe on Public WiFi
When it comes to travelling and staying connected it is not always as simple as finding your nearest WiFi hotspot and connecting to it. Well it is simple if you don’t mind connecting to a network that you know nothing about. A Free WiFi connection could get you into a number of tricky situations where hackers could be stealing your information as you browse the web unknowingly which is never a good thing and this is why the use of VPNs is becoming more popular even if you are just sitting in your local coffee shop…its best to be safe than sorry!
Setting up a VPN connection on an Android Device
If you are using an android device it really is simple to set up a VPN in order to get yourself protected and there are even several options regarding how it is set up. There are many different third party software packages that can be downloaded for a fee or for free that enable you to create a secure VPN connection in no time at all. The VPN will set up a barrier between your device and the world wide web and this means that any date you send is encrypted. This effectively means that anyone who is trying to steal your information will just see a load of data that makes absolutely no sense to them at all! If you have an apple device, you can use these instructions to set up a VPN
The steps you need to follow:
- So in order to set up a VPN on an android device go to settings and then select Wireless and networks and then select VPN.
- Now it is time to select the type of protocol you wish to use and whilst there are a few options such L2TP, L2TP/IPsec PSK, L2TP/IPsec CRT the one you need to choose is in PPTP. This is the easiest to set up.
- To create the connection you will need some details. First give your VPN connection a name which will allow you to identify it.
- Then you will need to enter its public IP address and then ensure that encryption is enabled. This is the important part as the encryption is what keeps you safe!
- Now it is time to enter the login details of the WiFi network and there may be a requirement to include the domain or VPN server name.
- Once all of this data has been entered it is time to make the connection, click the connect to network button and a message will appear that says you are connected.
- An icon will appear at the top of the screen that looks like a key and this confirms that you are connected which means any information you now send will be encrypted and protected from the prying eyes of hackers.
Setting up a VPN is essential for anyone who wishes to connect to a public network especially those who are travelling to unfamiliar places. It is important to be safe - once the hackers have what they want they can cause some serious problems. To be even safer you can use a portable WiFi hotspot.