While traveling, almost everyone has taken advantage of free WiFi whether it’s in a coffee shop, bar or restaurant. While this does reduce your data roaming costs it also makes you susceptible to hackers.
ur WiFi at home is protected by a password, right? You don’t leave it open to anyone to access in order to protect yourself and your personal data, yet using free public WiFi you are doing the opposite of what you do at home. Don’t panic, you can still use free WiFi, but you should consider setting up a VPN (Virtual Private Network) to access it through so you and your data remain confidential. Staying secure on a public network is vital and a simple VPN connection will ensure that any you send is encrypted, meaning that it will make no sense at all to anyone who is trying to intercept it. Setting up a VPN connection on an Apple device is simple and quick and will have you up and running in a safe environment in no time.
How to Set Up a VPN on an Apple Device....
- Your iPhone, iPad or iTouch will all come with VPN support built-in and it covers L2TP, PPTP, and IPSec. Before you get connected it is important to get the settings and data from your VPN service to hand so that you are ready to input them into your device.
- Configure the VPN by adding in the details of your VPN. Under Settings, select General, then Network, tap VPN and then select Add VPN Configuration.
- At the top of the screen, there are three tabs and you will need to select the one you wish to use, in most cases IPSec is chosen.
- Enter the relevant information into the fields such as the Server IP Address and your account ID. Once these have been entered correctly tap save, your VPN account is now up and ready, it just needs to be turned on.
- In order to switch the VPN Client on, from the home screen tap settings and there should be a VPN option. This will only appear once a VPN connection has been activated. In this case, it has. Move the ON/OFF toggle next to the VPN option over to ON.
If any kind of error message pops up then head back into the VPN settings to ensure that they are entered correctly.
With the VPN connection set up, it now enables you to use a public WiFi network safely and the transfer of any important and personal data such as banking information and login credentials can no longer be accessed by a hacker who could be sitting just yards away. This is by far the most convenient and simplest way to ensure that you have the right protection in place to have a worry-free, web- browsing experience.
If you want to access the internet on the move and don’t have time to run around looking for free WiFi, make sure you have one of these data roaming gadgets at hand so you can get online wherever you are without having to pay for extortionate data roaming charges with your network operator.
Share this article with friends and family to make sure they don’t fall victim to hackers.