Anyone who travels on a regular basis knows how expensive it can be. The key to traveling often without breaking the bank is to be a smart traveler and do what you can to save money along the way.
- If you are going to a popular vacation destination try to go during the offseason. You will likely spend less money on transportation and accommodations which will give you more “play money” that you can use to enjoy your trip.
- There are countless ways you can save money when you travel and the more of them you implement the better off you are. The first thing you will want to do to save money while traveling is to obtain a pay as you go SIM card for international use before embarking on a trip. It’s your best bet for keeping in touch with loved ones back home while you are away. These SIM cards allow you to make overseas phone calls, send text messages and use data for up to 85% less than your usual SIM card.
- If you have plans to visit two countries on the same trip you can possibly save money when you change planes. Rather than jumping on a plane to the second country you are visiting right away, try to book a flight that has a layover lasting a day or two. This essentially allows you to take two separate flights for the price of one.
- If your international travel plans are flexible you should research the exchange rates of various countries before choosing a destination. This will help your money go further when you travel to the country with the best exchange rates.
- If you don’t have a tablet such as an iPad, you may want to consider purchasing one for your future travel plans. Purchasing an iPad SIM card with low-cost data roaming rates will allow you to use the device for many things while you are away. Your iPad will give you an easy way to have access to your email and other forms of electronic communication. It can also provide you with GPS services that will help you find your way around an unfamiliar city. Having an iPad with built-in GPS can save you time and money on transportation costs because you won’t have to worry about getting lost. There are many mobile apps compatible with the iPad that are designed to help travelers. Some of the services included in travel apps are language translators and etiquette lessons. There are also apps that can help you find nearby restaurants and attractions.
- When you have plans to rent a car during your trip it is preferable from a financial standpoint to obtain a standard rental as opposed to a one-way rental. A one-way rental basically means that you rent the car at one location and return it to another. This can often be quite expensive, so you are likely to save money if you return your rental car from the same location you rented it from.
- When looking for food while you are traveling, try to stick to eating local cuisines in privately owned establishments. This is often cheaper than eating in chain restaurants and will make your trip seem more authentic. even more, if you leave your car at the hotel and walk or take a bus to your ultimate destination.
- If you are visiting a major city within the U.S. consider staying in a hotel a short drive from that city. The smaller towns that are not popular among tourists often offer cheaper rates on hotel rooms. If you don’t mind making a short drive from your hotel to the city you want to visit you could end up saving a decent amount of money. You’ll save
Check out these travel accessories that also save you money.